Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Woman of Steel!

"It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself."
- Muhammed Ali

Everything seemed to be burning.... my legs, arms, and lungs!! Muscles that I didn't even know I had seemed to be aching. Yet I had never felt more alive!

Saturday was the Women of Steel triathlon. I knew that I wanted to try a sprint triathlon at some point before I had my next child. My great neighbor told me of one called the Women of Steel triathlon that she was going to do with her sisters. I figured why put it off and signed up and quickly paid so I couldn't back out.

When I began my training running a simple mile was a HUGE trial! I was so out of shape!! I can't even explain how far I had to go. I was quite positive that there was no way I was going to be able to accomplish this tri. I was scared and in all honesty kinda mad I had paid and told people about it because it would have been so much easier to just not do it!

About half way through my training I had a bit of an eye opening experience where I realized I was capable of so much more than I gave myself credit for. I could do this!

Race day that calming feeling of 'I can do this' flew out the window! I had some serious race day jitters! As I stood in the line waiting to get into the pool I talked with my neighbor, which helped distract me a little bit. Once I entered that pool I knew it was just me! Running from the pool to change and grab my bike I was still unsure of my ability to do this. I can say it was probably about 4 miles into the bike ride before I was reminded once again of my abilities.

I had finally rounded the corner after the hill that I felt would never end to face a crowd of people cheering. I know they were there for a certain person or group of people, but that didn't stop them from cheering me on as I passed by. Yelling out shouts of encouragement I felt renewed. I was a strong woman! I thought back to all that I had accomplished in the past years. Carrying and giving birth to 3 amazing kids being one of my greatest accomplishments. Not doing much physical aside from those kids and yet here I was accomplishing this race. I felt the love of my great family and friends and for one of the first times in a long time I felt a great love for myself. I was really proud of myself. What an amazing feeling that was!

Now I am sore, but I can't help but be reminded with each sore muscle of the great feat I have accomplished!

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.
-- Norman Vincent Peale










3 comments:

  1. Way to go Becky! You rock! I'm glad you finished it and had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are pretty awesome! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! Do you have any pictures?

    ReplyDelete